The 3S principles for creative tourism design: Stories, Senses, Sophitiscation
To inspire local communities and visitors to revive traditional crafts, we need evaluative research for rich content. Insightful “Stories” are crucial to transcend unique local cultural assets. The artists or passionate artisans will be the storytellers, elevating the inspiration of visitors to learn and create their masterpieces.
The entire experience needs to enhance all the “Senses” in a participative and learning manner, with the guidance of local experts. The design of the place and space is crucial to stimulate the expression of creativity.
For dedicated art and craft enthusiasts, the flow of activities must be well-designed to extend beyond the basics toward “Sophistication.” It has to unleash visitors’ creative potential, bring forth innovative ideas, and make it an all-around worthy experience for time well spent, appreciating unique and distinctive local arts.
Panoramic view of Hue’s traditional crafts and integrated experiences
Explore the ‘panoramic view’ of Hue’s traditional crafts and how to regenerate meaningful connection to the tour’s narrative.
- Empower women entrepreneurs in Phuoc Tich pottery village, Phò Trạch rush weaving, and Bao La bamboo knitting.
- Explore spiritual life in Bao Vinh, Địa Linh, with blacksmithing, earthenware kitchen gods, Sinh folk painting, and Thanh Tien five-color paper flowers.
- Indulge in Thủy Biều village with Phường Đúc bronze casting, gilded streets, votive objects, incense stick making, and sesame candy.
- Cycle through Kim Long “garden city” for wood carving, candied ginger, mung bean cakes, and Lựu Bảo rice paper village.
- Immerse yourself in Chuôn-Tam Giang lagoon, rural markets and Thanh Toan agricultural village for sticky rice cakes, refined rice alcohol tasting, and conical hat making—an essential accessory rooted in the region’s farming life.
- Follow the Perfume River upstream to connect with indigenous knowledge on herbal and traditional southern medicine; if time allows, join a kite-making workshop.
- Engage in purposeful urban exploration by visiting the Hope vocational training center for people with disabilities. Foster inclusive growth and a circular mindset through a handicraft workshop using recycled materials.
- Experience home dining and a homestay in the heart of a Hue resident family, learning to cook healthy dishes with grandma’s recipes.
- Embark on a soft-trekking adventure in A Luoi rainforest, promoting traditional tribal crafts like Zeng textile. This initiative aims to address the current social-ecological crisis while renewing biodiversity and cultures.
Fostering inclusive growth and community well-being
Today, modern travelers seek varied, rich, and immersive experiences that extend beyond visiting landmarks, monuments and purchasing souvenirs. The journey shifts from being a passive observer to an active participant, including hands-on crafting, dancing with artisans, staying in homestays that promote vernacular architecture, cooking slow food to emphasize the value of leisurely dining. Such experiences fill the hearts and minds of travelers with emotions they will never forget when exploring an exotic destination.
This approach aims to celebrate authentic cultural expressions while fostering inclusive growth and community well-being. Moving forward, let’s persist in supporting and celebrating these artisans, the custodians of living heritage, ensuring its thriving legacy for generations to come.